"Jan. 31, 2012 -- Postmenopausal women with a history of smoking who take heartburn drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) for two years or longer may be more likely to sustain a hip fracture.
And the longer women take PPIs, the g"...
Protonix Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is pantoprazole (Protonix)?
- What are the possible side effects of pantoprazole (Protonix)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pantoprazole (Protonix)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pantoprazole (Protonix)?
- How should I take pantoprazole (Protonix)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Protonix)?
- What happens if I overdose (Protonix)?
- What should I avoid while taking pantoprazole (Protonix)?
- What other drugs will affect pantoprazole (Protonix)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Protonix)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Protonix)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking pantoprazole (Protonix)?
Follow your doctor's instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity.
What other drugs will affect pantoprazole (Protonix)?
Pantoprazole should not be taken together with atazanavir (Reyataz) or nelfinavir (Viracept). Tell your doctor if you are taking either of these medications to treat HIV or AIDS.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- ampicillin (Omnipen, Principen);
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven);
- clopidogrel (Plavix);
- digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxicaps);
- a diuretic (water pill);
- ketoconazole (Nizoral); or
- iron (Feosol, Mol-Iron, Fergon, Femiron, others).
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with pantoprazole. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about pantoprazole.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 11.01. Revision date: 11/29/2011.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Protonix Information
- Protonix Drug Interactions Center: pantoprazole oral
- Protonix Side Effects Center
- Protonix Overview including Precautions
- Protonix FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Protonix - User Reviews
Protonix User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.