"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved an expanded indication for onabotulinum toxin A (Botox, Actavis) for the treatment of adults with upper limb spasticity, according to a company news release.
The expanded i"...
Protopam Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Protopam Chloride
Generic Name: pralidoxime (Pronunciation: PRAL i DOX eem)
- What is pralidoxime (Protopam)?
- What are the possible side effects of pralidoxime (Protopam)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pralidoxime (Protopam)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before receiving pralidoxime (Protopam)?
- How is pralidoxime given (Protopam)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Protopam)?
- What happens if I overdose (Protopam)?
- What should I avoid after receiving pralidoxime (Protopam)?
- What other drugs will affect pralidoxime (Protopam)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pralidoxime (Protopam)?
Pralidoxime reverses muscle weakness or paralysis caused by a poison or certain drug overdose.
Pralidoxime is used as an antidote to treat poisoning by a chemical or pesticide (insect spray), or by a drug used to treat a muscle disorder.
This medication is not effective as an antidote for all types of pesticide poisonings.
Pralidoxime may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of pralidoxime (Protopam)?
Some of the side effects of pralidoxime may be similar to the symptoms of poisoning. Your caregivers will watch you closely to determine whether your body is responding well to the medication, or if you are having any serious side effects.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fast heart rate;
- rapid breathing;
- increased muscle stiffness;
- a choking feeling;
Less serious side effects may include:
- pain where the medicine was injected;
- blurred vision;
- feeling dizzy or drowsy;
- headache; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Protopam (pralidoxime chloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pralidoxime (Protopam)?
If possible, before you receive pralidoxime, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, or if you are allergic to any drugs.
Also tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
In an emergency situation it may not be possible before you are treated to tell your caregivers about your health conditions or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Make sure any doctor caring for you afterward knows that you have received this medication.
Additional Protopam Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.