"July 1, 2015 -- Scientists say they've accidentally found a possible treatment for eczema and rheumatoid arthritis.
Their original research was focused on how to treat a condition called skin graft versus host disease (GvHD). It affects som"...
Protopic Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Protopic
Generic Name: tacrolimus topical (Pronunciation: ta KROE li mus)
- What is tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
- What are the possible side effects of tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
- How should I use tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Protopic)?
- What happens if I overdose (Protopic)?
- What should I avoid while using tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
- What other drugs will affect tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
Tacrolimus is an immunosuppressant. It works by decreasing your body's immune system.
Tacrolimus topical (for the skin) is used to treat severe atopic dermatitis (eczema).
Tacrolimus may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using tacrolimus and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe stinging, burning, itching, or soreness where the medicine is applied;
- swollen glands;
- redness or crusting around your hair follicles; or
- signs of a skin infection (redness, swelling, itching, oozing).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild burning, stinging, or itching;
- skin redness;
- cold or flu symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
- headache; or
- feeling more sensitive to hot or cold temperatures.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Protopic (tacrolimus) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about tacrolimus topical (Protopic)?
You should not use tacrolimus topical if you are allergic to it.
Before using tacrolimus topical, tell your doctor if you have skin cancer or a skin infection (including herpes or chickenpox), any genetic skin disorder (such as Netherton's syndrome), a weak immune system, kidney disease, or swelling, redness, or irritation of large areas of your skin.
Tacrolimus can lower the blood cells that help your body fight infections. This can make it easier for you to get sick from a virus such as chicken pox or herpes (cold sores or shingles). Tell your doctor if you have been exposed to any illness.
Avoid sunlight, sun lamps, tanning beds, and phototherapy treatments with UVA or UVB light. If you must be outdoors, wear loose clothing over the skin areas treated with tacrolimus topical. Do not use sunscreen on treated skin unless your doctor has told you to.
Talk to your doctor if your skin condition does not improve after using tacrolimus topical for 6 weeks.
Do not use this medication on a child younger than 2 years old.
Some people have developed skin cancer or lymphoma after using tacrolimus or pimecrolimus (Elidel). However, it is not known if either of these medicines causes skin cancer or lymphoma. Talk to your doctor about your individual risk.
Additional Protopic Information
- Protopic Drug Interactions Center: tacrolimus top
- Protopic Side Effects Center
- Protopic Overview including Precautions
- Protopic FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Protopic - User Reviews
Protopic User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.