"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Belsomra (suvorexant) tablets for use as needed to treat difficulty in falling and staying asleep (insomnia).
Belsomra is an orexin receptor antagonist and is the first approved drug of t"...
Provigil Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Provigil
Generic Name: modafinil (Pronunciation: moe DAF i nil)
- What is modafinil (Provigil)?
- What are the possible side effects of modafinil (Provigil)?
- What is the most important information I should know about modafinil (Provigil)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking modafinil (Provigil)?
- How should I take modafinil (Provigil)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Provigil)?
- What happens if I overdose (Provigil)?
- What should I avoid while taking modafinil (Provigil)?
- What other drugs will affect modafinil (Provigil)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is modafinil (Provigil)?
Modafinil is a medication that promotes wakefulness.
Modafinil is used to treat excessive sleepiness caused by sleep apnea, narcolepsy, or shift work sleep disorder.
Modafinil may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Provigil 100 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with PROVIGIL, 100 MG
Provigil 200 mg
oblong, yellow, imprinted with PROVIGIL, 200 mg
What are the possible side effects of modafinil (Provigil)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using modafinil and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- fever, sore throat, headache, and vomiting with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- depression, anxiety, aggression; or
- chest pain, uneven heart beats.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- feeling nervous or agitated;
- nausea, diarrhea;
- trouble sleeping (insomnia); or
- dry mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Provigil (modafinil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about modafinil (Provigil)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to modafinil or armodafinil (Nuvigil).
Before using modafinil, tell your doctor if you have angina (chest pain), liver or kidney disease, a heart problem, a history of drug addiction, if you take blood pressure medication, or if you have recently had a heart attack.
Modafinil affects the central nervous system. This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. Avoid other dangerous activities until you know how this medication will affect your level of wakefulness.
Stop taking modafinil and call your doctor if you have a skin rash, no matter how mild. A medicine similar to modafinil has caused severe skin reactions serious enough to require hospitalization. Other signs of a severe reaction include fever, sore throat, headache, and vomiting with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash.
There may be other drugs that can interact with modafinil. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Additional Provigil Information
- Provigil Drug Interactions Center: modafinil oral
- Provigil Side Effects Center
- Provigil Overview including Precautions
- Provigil FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Provigil - User Reviews
Provigil User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips for better sleep.