In this Article
- What other names is Pyrethrum known by?
- What is Pyrethrum?
- How does Pyrethrum work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Pyrethrum.
Do not use pyrethrum on children less than two years old.
Do not take pyrethrum if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You are allergic to ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and other related plants.
- You have asthma.
APPLIED TO THE SKIN:
- For treating head lice and crab lice: An over-the-counter (OTC) product that combines pyrethrins (0.17% to 0.33%) and piperonyl butoxide (2% to 4%) is applied to the affected area and allowed to remain for at least 10 minutes. The product is then thoroughly washed off with warm water. Pyrethrins are extracted from pyrethrum, and kill lice by harming their nervous systems.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.