"Adults with extreme obesity have increased risks of dying at a young age from cancer and many other causes including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and kidney and liver diseases, according to results of an analysis of data pooled from 20 lar"...
(phentermine and topiramate) Extended Release Capsules
Qsymia capsule is a combination oral product comprised of immediate-release phentermine hydrochloride (expressed as the weight of the free base) and extended-release topiramate. Qsymia contains phentermine hydrochloride, a sympathomimetic amine anorectic, and topiramate, a sulfamate-substituted monosaccharide related to fructose antiepileptic drug.
The chemical name of phentermine hydrochloride is α,α-dimethylphenethylamine hydrochloride. The molecular formula is C10H15N •HCl and its molecular weight is 185.7 (hydrochloride salt) or 149.2 (free base). Phentermine hydrochloride is a white, odorless, hygroscopic, crystalline powder that is soluble in water, methanol, and ethanol. Its structural formula is:
Topiramate is 2,3:4,5-di-O-isopropylidene-β-D-fructopyranose sulfamate. The molecular formula is C12H21NO8S and its molecular weight is 339.4. Topiramate is a white to off-white crystalline powder with a bitter taste. It is freely soluble in methanol and acetone, sparingly soluble in pH 9 to pH 12 aqueous solutions and slightly soluble in pH 1 to pH 8 aqueous solutions. Its structural formula is:
Qsymia is available in four dosage strengths:
- Qsymia 3.75 mg/23 mg (phentermine 3.75 mg and topiramate 23 mg extended-release) capsules;
- Qsymia 7.5 mg/46 mg (phentermine 7.5 mg and topiramate 46 mg extended-release) capsules;
- Qsymia 11.25 mg/69 mg (phentermine 11.25 mg and topiramate 69 mg extended-release) capsules;
- Qsymia 15 mg/92 mg (phentermine 15 mg and topiramate 92 mg extended-release) capsules.
Each capsule contains the following inactive ingredients: methylcellulose, sucrose, starch, microcrystalline cellulose, ethylcellulose, povidone, gelatin, talc, titanium dioxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #3, FD&C Yellow #5 and #6, and pharmaceutical black and white inks.
What are the possible side effects of phentermine and topiramate (Qsymia)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking this medication and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
- trouble concentrating, problems with thinking or speech, feeling like you might pass out;
- blurred vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights;
- low blood sugar...
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/9/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Qsymia Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.