"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the Impella 2.5 System, a miniature blood pump system intended to help certain patients maintain stable heart function and circulation during certain high-risk percutaneous coronary interventio"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Quinidex Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is quinidine (Quinidex)?
- What are the possible side effects of quinidine (Quinidex)?
- What is the most important information I should know about quinidine (Quinidex)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking quinidine (Quinidex)?
- How should I take quinidine (Quinidex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Quinidex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Quinidex)?
- What should I avoid while taking quinidine (Quinidex)?
- What other drugs will affect quinidine (Quinidex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Quinidex)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Quinidex)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, ringing in your ears or hearing problems, dizziness or spinning sensation, blurred vision, irregular heartbeat, confusion, or feeling like you might pass out.
What should I avoid while taking quinidine (Quinidex)?
Do not change the amount of salt in your diet unless your doctor tells you to.
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with quinidine and lead to potentially dangerous effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor.
What other drugs will affect quinidine (Quinidex)?
Many drugs can interact with quinidine. Below is just a partial list. Tell your doctor if you are using:
- cimetidine (Tagamet);
- digoxin (Lanoxin);
- ketoconazole (Extina, Ketozole, Nizoral, Xolegal);
- rifampin (Rifater, Rifadin, Rifamate);
- warfarin (Coumadin);
- a diuretic (water pill);
- glaucoma medication such as acetazolamide (Diamox) or methazolamide (Glauctabs, Neptazane);
- heart or blood pressure medication such as diltiazem (Cartia, Cardizem), felodipine (Plendil), nicardipine (Cardene), nimodipine, Nimotop), nifedipine (Nifedical, Procardia), propranolol (Inderal), or verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan);
- medicines to treat psychiatric disorders, such as haloperidol (Haldol), and others;
- narcotic medication such as codeine or hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin);
- other heart rhythm medications such as amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone), mexiletine (Mexitil), disopyramide (Norpace), or procainamide (Procan SR, Procanbid, Pronestyl);
- a phenothiazine such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), promethazine (Phenergan, Promethegan), prochlorperazine (Compazine), and others;
- seizure medication such as phenytoin (Dilantin) or phenobarbital (Solfoton);
- sodium bicarbonate, potassium citrate (K-Lyte, Urocit-K), sodium citrate and citric acid (Bicitra, Oracit), or sodium citrate and potassium (Citrolith, Polycitra); or
- an antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil), doxepin (Sinequan), clomipramine (Anafranil), imipramine (Tofranil), and others.
This list is not complete and there are many other drugs that can interact with quinidine. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about quinidine.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 4.02. Revision date: 12/15/2010.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Quinidex Information
Quinidex - User Reviews
Quinidex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.