"Nov. 2, 2012 -- Safety steps taken in the wake of the fungal meningitis outbreak have worsened drug shortages, raising questions about whether the U.S. must choose between the safety and the availability of crucial medicines.
Information for Patients
- Inform patients that exposure of the skin to Qutenza (capsaicin 8% patch) may result in transient erythema and burning sensation. Instruct patients not to touch the patch and that if they accidentally touch the Qutenza (capsaicin 8% patch) patch it may burn and/or sting.
- Instruct patients that if irritation of eyes or airways occurs, or if any of the side effects become severe, to notify their doctor immediately.
- Inform patients that the treated area may be sensitive to heat (e.g., hot showers/bath, direct sunlight, vigorous exercise) for a few days following treatment [see Instructions for Use].
- Inform patients that they may be given medication to treat acute pain during and after the Qutenza (capsaicin 8% patch) application procedure. Some of these medications, such as opioids, may affect the ability to perform potentially hazardous activities such as driving or operating machinery [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Inform patients that as a result of treatment-related increases in pain, small transient increases in blood pressure may occur during and shortly after Qutenza (capsaicin 8% patch) treatment and that blood pressure will be monitored during the treatment procedure. Instruct patients to inform the physician if they have experienced any recent cardiovascular event [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Instruct patients to notify their physician if they are pregnant or breast feeding [see Use In Specific Populations]
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/2/2009
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Qutenza Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.