"Today the U.S. Food and Drug Administration allowed marketing of the NephroCheck test, a first-of-a-kind laboratory test to help determine if certain critically ill hospitalized patients are at risk of developing moderate to severe acute kidney i"...
Rapamune Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is sirolimus (Rapamune)?
- What are the possible side effects of sirolimus (Rapamune)?
- What is the most important information I should know about sirolimus (Rapamune)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking sirolimus (Rapamune)?
- How should I take sirolimus (Rapamune)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Rapamune)?
- What happens if I overdose (Rapamune)?
- What should I avoid while taking sirolimus (Rapamune)?
- What other drugs will affect sirolimus (Rapamune)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Rapamune)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Rapamune)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms may include some of the serious side effects listed in this medication guide.
What should I avoid while taking sirolimus (Rapamune)?
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with sirolimus and could lead to potentially dangerous effects. Do not mix this medicine with grapefruit juice. Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while you are taking sirolimus.
Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Tell your doctor at once if you develop signs of infection.
Do not receive a "live" vaccine while using sirolimus. The vaccine may not work as well during this time, and may not fully protect you from disease. Live vaccines include measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), oral polio, typhoid, chickenpox (varicella), BCG (Bacillus Calmette and Guérin), and nasal flu vaccine.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Sirolimus may increase your risk of skin cancer. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
What other drugs will affect sirolimus (Rapamune)?
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- amphotericin B (Fungizone, AmBisome, Amphotec, Abelcet);
- bromocriptine (Parlodel);
- cimetidine (Tagamet);
- cisapride (Propulsid);
- danazol (Danocrine);
- metoclopramide (Reglan );
- rifampin (Rifater, Rifadin, Rimactane), rifabutin (Mycobutin), rifapentine (Priftin);
- St. John's wort;
- tacrolimus (Prograf);
- an ACE inhibitor such as benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), fosinopril (Monopril), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), perindopril (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril), ramipril (Altace), or trandolapril (Mavik);
- an antibiotic such clarithromycin (Biaxin), erythromycin (E-Mycin, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin, E.E.S), telithromycin (Ketek), capreomycin (Capastat), or troleandomycin (Tao);
- an antifungal medication such as clotrimazole (Mycelex Troche), fluconazole (Diflucan), itraconazole (Sporanox), ketoconazole (Nizoral), or voriconazole (Vfend);
- a calcium channel blocker such as diltiazem (Tiazac, Cardizem), nicardipine (Cardene), or verapamil (Calan, Covera, Verelan);
- HIV medicines such as indinavir (Crixivan) or ritonavir (Norvir); or
- seizure medicine such as carbamazepine (Tegretol), phenytoin (Dilantin), phenobarbital (Luminal).
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with sirolimus. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about sirolimus.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 7.03. Revision date: 2/14/2012.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Rapamune Information
- Rapamune Drug Interactions Center: sirolimus oral
- Rapamune Side Effects Center
- Rapamune Overview including Precautions
- Rapamune FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Rapamune - User Reviews
Rapamune User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.