"Oct. 24, 2012 -- Women who take hormones within five years of menopause may have a slightly lower risk of Alzheimer's disease compared to women who don't ever take them, a new study shows.
The study, which is published in the journal Ne"...
Razadyne ER Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Razadyne, Razadyne ER
Generic Name: galantamine (Pronunciation: ga LAN ta meen)
- What is galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What are the possible side effects of galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What is the most important information I should know about galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- How should I take galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Razadyne ER)?
- What happens if I overdose (Razadyne ER)?
- What should I avoid while taking galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What other drugs will affect galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
Galantamine improves the function of nerve cells in the brain. It works by preventing the breakdown of a chemical called acetylcholine (ah see til KO leen). People with dementia usually have lower levels of this chemical, which is important for the processes of memory, thinking, and reasoning.
Galantamine is used to treat mild to moderate dementia caused by Alzheimer's disease.
Galantamine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Razadyne 12 mg
round, brown, imprinted with G 12, JANSSEN
Razadyne 4 mg
round, white, imprinted with G 4, JANSSEN
Razadyne 8 mg
round, pink, imprinted with G 8, JANSSEN
Razadyne ER 16 mg
pink, imprinted with GAL 16
Razadyne ER 24 mg
brown, imprinted with GAL 24
Razadyne ER 8 mg
white, imprinted with GAL 8
What are the possible side effects of galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using galantamine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, slow heart rate;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- weakness, confusion, decreased sweating, extreme thirst, hot dry skin; or
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- feeling tired, dizzy, or light-headed;
- nausea, vomiting, gas, loss of appetite;
- weight loss; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Razadyne ER (galantamine hbr er) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
Before taking galantamine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have urination problems, heart disease, a heart rhythm disorder, stomach ulcers or bleeding, a seizure disorder, kidney disease, liver disease, or asthma.
Stop using galantamine and call your doctor at once if you have chest pain, slow heart rate, blood in your stools, coughing up blood, decreased urination, weakness, confusion, extreme thirst, or hot, dry skin.
There are many other medicines that can interact with galantamine. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
If you need to have any type of surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are taking galantamine. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
If you have stopped taking galantamine for any reason, talk with your doctor before you start taking it again. You may need to restart the medication at a lower dose.
Galantamine can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Additional Razadyne ER Information
- Razadyne ER Drug Interactions Center: galantamine oral
- Razadyne ER Side Effects Center
- Razadyne ER Overview including Precautions
- Razadyne ER FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Razadyne ER - User Reviews
Razadyne ER User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.