"March 5, 2014 -- The number of people who die from Alzheimer's disease may be five times higher than previously thought, researchers at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago say.
The study's numbers would make Alzheimer's the third lead"...
Razadyne ER Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Razadyne, Razadyne ER
Generic Name: galantamine (Pronunciation: ga LAN ta meen)
- What is galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What are the possible side effects of galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What is the most important information I should know about galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- How should I take galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Razadyne ER)?
- What happens if I overdose (Razadyne ER)?
- What should I avoid while taking galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- What other drugs will affect galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
Galantamine improves the function of nerve cells in the brain. It works by preventing the breakdown of a chemical called acetylcholine (ah see til KO leen). People with dementia usually have lower levels of this chemical, which is important for the processes of memory, thinking, and reasoning.
Galantamine is used to treat mild to moderate dementia caused by Alzheimer's disease.
Galantamine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Razadyne 12 mg
round, brown, imprinted with G 12, JANSSEN
Razadyne 4 mg
round, white, imprinted with G 4, JANSSEN
Razadyne 8 mg
round, pink, imprinted with G 8, JANSSEN
Razadyne ER 16 mg
capsule, pink, imprinted with GAL 16
Razadyne ER 24 mg
capsule, brown, imprinted with GAL 24
Razadyne ER 8 mg
capsule, white, imprinted with GAL 8
What are the possible side effects of galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using galantamine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- chest pain, slow heart rate;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- blood in your urine or stool;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- painful or difficult urination;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- weakness, confusion, decreased sweating, extreme thirst, hot dry skin; or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- feeling tired, dizzy, or drowsy;
- headache, blurred vision, runny nose;
- depression, sleep problems (insomnia);
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite;
- weight loss; or
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Razadyne ER (galantamine hbr er) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about galantamine (Razadyne ER)?
Before taking galantamine, tell your doctor if you have urination problems, heart disease, a heart rhythm disorder, stomach ulcers or bleeding, a seizure disorder, kidney disease, liver disease, or asthma.
Stop using galantamine and call your doctor at once if you have chest pain, slow heart rate, blood in your stools, coughing up blood, decreased urination, weakness, confusion, extreme thirst, or hot, dry skin.
There are many other drugs that can interact with galantamine. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using galantamine. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
If you have stopped taking galantamine for any reason, talk with your doctor before you start taking it again. You may need to restart the medication at a lower dose.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Additional Razadyne ER Information
- Razadyne ER Drug Interactions Center: galantamine oral
- Razadyne ER Side Effects Center
- Razadyne ER Overview including Precautions
- Razadyne ER FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Razadyne ER - User Reviews
Razadyne ER User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.