Mevacor) and others.
In this Article
- What other names is Red Yeast known by?
- What is Red Yeast?
- How does Red Yeast work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Red Yeast.
Red yeast rice often contains chemicals similar to the prescription drugs called "statins." Therefore, red yeast can cause side effects similar to statin drugs such as liver damage and severe muscle pain and muscle damage. Red yeast rice should not be used without the supervision of a health care provider.
Do not take red yeast if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You have liver disease.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.