"Entry Inhibitors (including Fusion Inhibitors) and CCR5 Co-receptor Antagonist
Entry inhibitors block HIV entry into CD4+ cells.
The only drug in this class "...
Rescriptor Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What are the possible side effects of delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What is the most important information I should know about delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- How should I take delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Rescriptor)?
- What happens if I overdose (Rescriptor)?
- What should I avoid while taking delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What other drugs will affect delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Rescriptor)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Rescriptor)?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. Symptoms of a delavirdine overdose are not known.
What should I avoid while taking delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
If you also take an antacid, take it at least 1 hour before or after taking delavirdine. Do not take antacids and delavirdine at the same time.
Avoid having unprotected sex or sharing needles, razors, or toothbrushes. Taking this medication will not prevent you from passing HIV to other people. Talk with your doctor about safe methods of preventing HIV transmission during sex. Sharing drug or medicine needles is never safe, even for a healthy person.
What other drugs will affect delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- sildenafil (Viagra);
- St. John's wort;
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin);
- a cholesterol medication such as Lipitor or Zocor;
- an antibiotic such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), rifabutin (Mycobutin) or rifampin (Rifadin, Rifater, Rifamate, Rimactane);
- heart or blood pressure medications such as diltiazem (Cartia, Cardizem), felodipine (Plendil), nifedipine (Nifedical, Procardia), verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan), and others;
- heart rhythm medicine such as amiodarone (Cordarone), flecainide (Tambocor), or propafenone (Rythmol), or quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinidex);
- medications to prevent organ transplant rejection;
- other HIV medicines such as indinavir (Crixivan), lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir), or saquinavir (Invirase);
- a sedative such as estazolam (ProSom), flurazepam (Dalmane), quazepam (Doral), or temazepam (Restoril);
- seizure medications such as phenytoin (Dilantin) or carbamazepine (Tegretol);
- steroid medicine such as dexamethasone (Decadron, Hexadrol) or fluticasone (Advair, Flovent, Flonase); or
- stomach medications such as Axid, Pepcid, Prevacid, Prilosec, Tagamet, or Zantac.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about delavirdine.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 7.03. Revision date: 12/15/2010.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Rescriptor Information
- Rescriptor Drug Interactions Center: delavirdine oral
- Rescriptor Side Effects Center
- Rescriptor Overview including Precautions
- Rescriptor FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Rescriptor - User Reviews
Rescriptor User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.