"Entry Inhibitors (including Fusion Inhibitors) and CCR5 Co-receptor Antagonist
Entry inhibitors block HIV entry into CD4+ cells.
The only drug in this class "...
Rescriptor Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Rescriptor
Generic Name: delavirdine (Pronunciation: de la VIR deen)
- What is delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What are the possible side effects of delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What is the most important information I should know about delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- How should I take delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Rescriptor)?
- What happens if I overdose (Rescriptor)?
- What should I avoid while taking delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- What other drugs will affect delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
Delavirdine is an antiviral medication that prevents human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) cells from multiplying in your body.
Delavirdine is used to treat HIV, which causes the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Delavirdine is not a cure for HIV or AIDS.
Delavirdine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Rescriptor 100 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with U 3761
What are the possible side effects of delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms; or
- any other signs of new infection.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or bloating;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- headache, mood changes;
- blurred vision;
- cough, stuffy nose;
- muscle or joint pain;
- sleep problems (insomnia), unusual dreams;
- tired feeling, trouble concentrating; or
- changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Rescriptor (delavirdine mesylate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about delavirdine (Rescriptor)?
Do not take delavirdine with pimozide (Orap), alprazolam (Xanax), midazolam (Versed), triazolam (Halcion), or ergot medicines such as dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45), ergonovine (Ergotrate), ergotamine (Ergomar, Cafergot, Wigraine), or methylergonovine (Methergine).
These drugs can cause life-threatening side effects if you use them while you are taking delavirdine.
There are many other medicines that can interact with delavirdine, or make it less effective. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list with you of all the medicines you use and show this list to any doctor or other healthcare provider who treats you.
HIV/AIDS is usually treated with a combination of different drugs. To best treat your condition, use all of your medications as directed by your doctor. Do not change your doses or medication schedule without advice from your doctor. Every person with HIV or AIDS should remain under the care of a doctor.
Avoid having unprotected sex or sharing needles, razors, or toothbrushes. Taking this medication will not prevent you from passing HIV to other people. Talk with your doctor about safe methods of preventing HIV transmission during sex. Sharing drug or medicine needles is never safe, even for a healthy person.
Additional Rescriptor Information
- Rescriptor Drug Interactions Center: delavirdine oral
- Rescriptor Side Effects Center
- Rescriptor Overview including Precautions
- Rescriptor FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Rescriptor - User Reviews
Rescriptor User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.