"What are benzodiazepines, and how do they work?
Benzodiazepines are a class of drugs primarily used for treating anxiety, but they also are effective in treating several other conditions. The exact mechanism of action of benzodiaz"...
Restoril Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Restoril
Generic Name: temazepam (Pronunciation: te MAZ e pam)
- What is temazepam (Restoril)?
- What are the possible side effects of temazepam (Restoril)?
- What is the most important information I should know about temazepam (Restoril)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking temazepam (Restoril)?
- How should I take temazepam (Restoril)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Restoril)?
- What happens if I overdose (Restoril)?
- What should I avoid while taking temazepam (Restoril)?
- What other drugs will affect temazepam (Restoril)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is temazepam (Restoril)?
Temazepam is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). Temazepam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause sleep problems (insomnia).
Temazepam is used to treat insomnia symptoms, such as trouble falling or staying asleep.
Temazepam may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Restoril 15 mg
peach/red, imprinted with RESTORIL 15 MG, FOR SLEEP
Restoril 30 mg
red/turquoise, imprinted with RESTORIL 30 mg, FOR SLEEP
Temazepam 15 mg-MYL
peach, imprinted with MYLAN 4010
Temazepam 30 mg-MYL
yellow, imprinted with MYLAN 5050
Temazepam 30 mg-PUR
white, imprinted with R-077
Temazepam 7.5 mg-GG
peach/white, imprinted with TEMAZEPAM 7.5 mg, 271 cp
What are the possible side effects of temazepam (Restoril)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using temazepam and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- weak or shallow breathing;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- confusion, slurred speech, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- hallucinations, agitation, aggression;
- thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- problems with urination; or
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- daytime drowsiness (or during hours when you are not normally sleeping);
- amnesia or forgetfulness;
- muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination;
- numbness, burning, pain, or tingly feeling;
- headache, blurred vision, depressed mood;
- feeling nervous, excited, or irritable;
- nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort; or
- dry mouth, increased thirst.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Restoril (temazepam) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about temazepam (Restoril)?
Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking temazepam and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to temazepam or to other benzodiazepines, such as alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), clorazepate (Tranxene), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), or triazolam (Halcion).
Before taking temazepam, tell your doctor if you have any breathing problems, glaucoma, kidney or liver disease, myasthenia gravis, or a history of depression, suicidal thoughts, or addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Do not drink alcohol while taking temazepam. It can increase some of the side effects, and could possibly cause a fatal overdose.
Avoid using other medicines that make you sleepy. They can add to sleepiness caused by temazepam.
Temazepam may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Temazepam should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Additional Restoril Information
Restoril - User Reviews
Restoril User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.