"What are birth control pills and how do they work?
Birth control pills are also known as oral contraceptives (OCs) or, simply, “the pill.” They offer protection against pregnancy by blocking the union of sperm and egg, thereby prevent"...
Rifadin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Rifadin
Generic Name: rifampin (Pronunciation: rif AM pin)
- What is rifampin (Rifadin)?
- What are the possible side effects of rifampin (Rifadin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about rifampin (Rifadin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using rifampin (Rifadin)?
- How should I use rifampin (Rifadin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Rifadin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Rifadin)?
- What should I avoid while taking rifampin (Rifadin)?
- What other drugs will affect rifampin (Rifadin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is rifampin (Rifadin)?
Rifampin is an antibiotic. Rifampin prevents bacteria from spreading in your body.
Rifampin is used to treat or prevent tuberculosis (TB).
Rifampin may also be used to eliminate a bacteria from your nose and throat that may cause meningitis or other infections, even if you do not have an infection. Rifampin prevents you from spreading this bacteria to other people, but the medication will not treat an infection caused by the bacteria.
Rifampin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Rifampin 150 mg-VER
capsule, orange, imprinted with Rifampin 150, VP/015
Rifampin 300 mg-EON
red, capsule, imprinted with E799
Rifampin 300 mg-VER
capsule, orange, imprinted with Rifampin 300, VP/018
What are the possible side effects of rifampin (Rifadin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- joint pain or swelling;
- easy bruising or bleeding, weakness;
- urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- nausea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- tired feeling; or
- red or orange colored urine, stools, tears, sweat, or saliva.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Rifadin (rifampin) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about rifampin (Rifadin)?
Before taking rifampin, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have liver disease or porphyria ( (a genetic enzyme disorder that causes symptoms affecting the skin or nervous system).
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Rifampin will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Take the rifampin capsule on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
Rifampin can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking rifampin.
There are many other medicines that can interact with rifampin. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list with you of all the medicines you use and show this list to any doctor or other healthcare provider who treats you.
Do not wear contact lenses while you are taking rifampin. This medicine may discolor your tears, which could permanently stain soft contact lenses.
Additional Rifadin Information
- Rifadin Drug Interactions Center: rifampin oral
- Rifadin Side Effects Center
- Rifadin Overview including Precautions
- Rifadin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Rifadin - User Reviews
Rifadin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.