"May 2, 2012 -- More than 50 years of data show that people with schizophrenia who take antipsychotic drugs lower their risk of relapse, a new study suggests.
Relapse rates were 64% in people not taking medications for schizophrenia, w"...
Risperdal Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Risperdal, Risperdal M-Tab
Generic Name: risperidone (oral) (Pronunciation: ris PER i done)
- What is risperidone (Risperdal)?
- What are the possible side effects of risperidone (Risperdal)?
- What is the most important information I should know about risperidone (Risperdal)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking risperidone (Risperdal)?
- How should I take risperidone (Risperdal)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Risperdal)?
- What happens if I overdose (Risperdal)?
- What should I avoid while taking risperidone (Risperdal)?
- What other drugs will affect risperidone (Risperdal)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is risperidone (Risperdal)?
Risperidone is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the effects of chemicals in the brain.
Risperidone is used to treat schizophrenia and symptoms of bipolar disorder (manic depression). Risperidone is also used in autistic children to treat symptoms of irritability.
Risperidone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Risperdal 0.25 mg
oblong, yellow, imprinted with RIS 0.25, JANSSEN
Risperdal 0.5 mg
oblong, pink, imprinted with JANSSEN, Ris 0.5
Risperdal 1 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with JANSSEN, R 1
Risperdal 2 mg
oblong, orange, imprinted with JANSSEN, R 2
Risperdal 3 mg
oblong, yellow, imprinted with JANSSEN, R 3
Risperdal 4 mg
oblong, green, imprinted with JANSSEN, R 4
Risperidone 0.25 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with R, M
Risperidone 0.25 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with 93, 221
Risperidone 0.5 mg-MYL
round, peach, imprinted with R5, M
Risperidone 0.5 mg-TEV
round, orange, imprinted with 93, 225
Risperidone 1 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with R11, M
Risperidone 1 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93, 7240
Risperidone 2 mg-MYL
round, beige, imprinted with R12, M
Risperidone 2 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with 93, 7241
Risperidone 3 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with R13, M
Risperidone 3 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with 93, 7242
Risperidone 4 mg-MYL
round, beige, imprinted with R14, M
Risperidone 4 mg-TEV
round, green, imprinted with 93, 7243
What are the possible side effects of risperidone (Risperdal)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking risperidone and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats;
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;
- drooling, tremor (uncontrolled shaking);
- seizure (convulsions);
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- trouble swallowing;
- feeling like you might pass out; or
- penis erection that is painful or lasts 4 hours or longer.
Less serious side effects may include:
- weight gain;
- feeling hot or cold;
- headache, dizziness;
- drowsiness, tired feeling;
- dry mouth, increased appetite;
- feeling restless or anxious;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation;
- cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Risperdal (risperidone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about risperidone (Risperdal)?
Risperidone is not for use in psychotic conditions related to dementia. Risperidone may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions.
Do not give this medication to a child without a doctor's advice.
While you are taking risperidone, you may be more sensitive to temperature extremes such as very hot or cold conditions. Avoid getting too cold, or becoming overheated or dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, especially in hot weather and during exercise. It is easier to become dangerously overheated and dehydrated while you are taking risperidone.
Risperidone may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of risperidone.
Stop using risperidone and call your doctor at once if you have fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, restless muscle movements in your face or neck, tremor (uncontrolled shaking), trouble swallowing, feeling light-headed, or fainting.
Additional Risperdal Information
- Risperdal Drug Interactions Center: risperidone oral
- Risperdal Side Effects Center
- Risperdal Overview including Precautions
- Risperdal FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Risperdal - User Reviews
Risperdal User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on therapy and treatment.