"Feb. 8, 2013 -- With winter cold and flu season in full swing -- and a new strain of norovirus circulating -- everyone's trying to dodge the bugs. Norovirus causes intestinal illness, and it's often the root of outbreaks at schools and in nursing"...
Robitussin Ac Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Allfen CD, Allfen CDX, Brontex, Cheracol with Codeine, Cheratussin AC, Codar GF, Dex-Tuss, Diabetic Tussin C, Duraganidin NR, ExeClear-C, Guaiatussin AC, Guaifen-C, Guiatuss AC, Guiatussin with Codeine, Iophen-C NR, Mar-cof CG, M-Clear, M-Clear WC, Mytussin AC, Robafen AC, Robitussin-AC, Tussiden C, Tusso-C
Generic Name: codeine and guaifenesin (Pronunciation: KOE deen and gwye FEN a sin)
- What is codeine and guaifenesin (Robitussin Ac)?
- What are the possible side effects of codeine and guaifenesin?
- What is the most important information I should know about codeine and guaifenesin?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking codeine and guaifenesin?
- How should I take codeine and guaifenesin?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking codeine and guaifenesin?
- What other drugs will affect codeine and guaifenesin?
- Where can I get more information?
What is codeine and guaifenesin (Robitussin Ac)?
Codeine is in a group of drugs called narcotics. It is a cough suppressant that affects the signals in the brain that trigger cough reflex.
Guaifenesin is an expectorant. It helps loosen congestion in your chest and throat, making it easier to cough out through your mouth.
The combination of codeine and guaifenesin is used to treat cough and to reduce chest congestion caused by upper respiratory infections or the common cold.
Codeine and guaifenesin will not treat a cough that is caused by smoking, asthma, or emphysema.
Codeine and guaifenesin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
oblong, red, imprinted with BRONTEX
Codeine-Guaifenesin 10 mg-300 mg-ETH
oval, red, imprinted with 223, ETHEX
What are the possible side effects of codeine and guaifenesin?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe dizziness or drowsiness;
- confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, weak or shallow breathing.
Less serious side effects include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, headache;
- warmth, redness, or tingling under your skin;
- nausea, vomiting, upset stomach;
- constipation; or
- skin rash or itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Robitussin Ac (guaifenesin and codeine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about codeine and guaifenesin?
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before using any other cough or cold medicine. Guaifenesin is contained in many combination medicines. Taking certain products together can cause you to get too much guaifenesin. Check the label to see if a medicine contains an guaifenesin, or an expectorant.
Codeine and guaifenesin may impair your thinking or reactions. Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how this medicine will affect you.
Codeine may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. This medication should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Do not give this medication to a child younger than 4 years old. Always ask a doctor before giving a cough or cold medicine to a child. Death can occur from the misuse of cough and cold medicines in very young children.
Additional Robitussin Ac Information
- Robitussin Ac Drug Interactions Center: codeine-guaifenesin oral
- Robitussin Ac Side Effects Center
- Robitussin Ac Overview including Precautions
- Robitussin Ac FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Robitussin Ac - User Reviews
Robitussin Ac User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.