"June 25, 2014 -- The glut of food products -- namely breakfast cereals and snack bars -- pumped up with vitamins and minerals puts children and pregnant women at risk for eating too much of a good thing, concludes a report out Tuesday."...
Rocaltrol Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Rocaltrol
Generic Name: calcitriol (vitamin D3) (Pronunciation: kal si TRYE ol)
- What is calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
- What are the possible side effects of calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
- What is the most important information I should know about calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
- How should I take calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Rocaltrol)?
- What happens if I overdose (Rocaltrol)?
- What should I avoid while taking calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
- What other drugs will affect calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
Calcitriol is vitamin D3. Vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium from the stomach and for the functioning of calcium in the body.
Calcitriol is used to treat hyperparathyroidism (overactive parathyroid glands) and metabolic bone disease in people who have chronic kidney failure and are not receiving dialysis.
Calcitriol is also used to treat calcium deficiency (hypocalcemia) and metabolic bone disease in people who are receiving dialysis.
Calcitriol is also used to treat calcium deficiency in people with hypoparathyroidism (underactive parathyroid glands) caused by surgery, disease, or other conditions.
Calcitriol may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Calcitriol 0.25 mcg-ROX
oval, yellow, imprinted with 547
Calcitriol 0.25 mcg-TEV
oval, orange/yellow, imprinted with 93 657
Calcitriol 0.5 mcg-TEV
oval, orange/yellow, imprinted with 93 658
Rocatrol 0.25 mg
oval, orange, imprinted with ROCALTROL 0.25 ROCHE
What are the possible side effects of calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using calcitriol and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- weakness, headache, drowsiness;
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation;
- loss of appetite;
- dry mouth, increased thirst;
- metallic taste in your mouth;
- urinating more than usual;
- fast, slow, or uneven heart rate;
- changes in behavior;
- muscle pain, bone pain, muscle weakness, loss of height;
- slow growth (in a child taking calcitriol); or
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Rocaltrol (calcitriol) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about calcitriol (Rocaltrol)?
You should not use this medication if you have high levels of calcium or vitamin D in your blood, or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to calcitriol or other forms of vitamin D.
Drink plenty of fluids unless your doctor has told you to restrict your fluid intake.
Call your doctor if you have ongoing vomiting or diarrhea, or if you are sweating more than usual. You can easily become dehydrated while taking this medication, which can lead to a serious electrolyte imbalance.
Do not take other vitamin or mineral supplements unless your doctor has told you to.
Avoid using antacids without your doctor's advice. Use only the type of antacid your doctor recommends. Some antacids can make it harder for your body to absorb calcitriol.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood will need to be tested on a regular basis. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.
Calcitriol is only part of a complete program of treatment that may also include a special diet. Follow your diet and medication routines very closely. You should become very familiar with the list of foods you must eat or avoid to help control your condition.
Additional Rocaltrol Information
- Rocaltrol Drug Interactions Center: calcitriol oral
- Rocaltrol Side Effects Center
- Rocaltrol Overview including Precautions
- Rocaltrol FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Rocaltrol - User Reviews
Rocaltrol User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Weight Loss Wisdom
Get tips, recipes and inspiration.