"Alderman Farms Sales Corporation, Boynton Beach, Florida is recalling one pint containers of Certified Organic Cherry Tomatoes because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and some"...
Rocephin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Rocephin
Generic Name: ceftriaxone (injection) (Pronunciation: SEF trye AX one)
- What is ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
- What are the possible side effects of ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
- How should I use ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Rocephin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Rocephin)?
- What should I avoid while using ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
- What other drugs will affect ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
Ceftriaxone is a cephalosporin (SEF a low spor in) antibiotic. It works by fighting bacteria in your body.
Ceftriaxone is used to treat many kinds of bacterial infections, including severe or life-threatening forms such as meningitis.
Ceftriaxone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- fever, chills, swollen glands, rash or itching, joint pain, or general ill feeling;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, confusion or weakness;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- seizure (convulsions);
- swelling, pain, or irritation where the injection was given;
- chalky-colored stools, stomach pain just after eating a meal, nausea, heartburn, bloating, and severe upper stomach pain that may spread to your back; or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- a hard lump where the injection was given;
- nausea, vomiting, upset stomach;
- headache, dizziness, overactive reflexes;
- pain or swelling in your tongue;
- sweating; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Rocephin (ceftriaxone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ceftriaxone (Rocephin)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to ceftriaxone, or to similar antibiotics, such as Ceftin, Cefzil, Keflex, Omnicef, and others.
Before using ceftriaxone, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, diabetes, gallbladder disease, colitis or other stomach or intestinal disorder, if you are malnourished, or if you are allergic to penicillin.
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics.
Ceftriaxone will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Do not use any medicine to stop the diarrhea unless your doctor has told you to.
Additional Rocephin Information
- Rocephin Drug Interactions Center: ceftriaxone iv
- Rocephin Side Effects Center
- Rocephin Overview including Precautions
- Rocephin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Rocephin - User Reviews
Rocephin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.