"Nov. 2, 2012 -- Safety steps taken in the wake of the fungal meningitis outbreak have worsened drug shortages, raising questions about whether the U.S. must choose between the safety and the availability of crucial medicines.
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
Information for Patients/Caregivers
If clinically advisable, patients (or their caregivers) receiving ROXICODONE® (oxycodone hydrochloride) tablets should be given the following information by the physician, nurse, pharmacist or caregiver:
- Patients should be advised to report episodes of breakthrough pain and adverse experiences occurring during therapy. Individualization of dosage is essential to make optimal use of this medication.
- Patients should be advised not to adjust the dose of ROXICODONE (oxycodone hydrochloride) ® without consulting the prescribing professional.
- Patients should be advised that ROXICODONE (oxycodone hydrochloride) ® may impair mental and/or physical ability required for the performance of potentially hazardous tasks (e.g. driving, operating heavy machinery).
- Patients should not combine ROXICODONE (oxycodone hydrochloride) ® with alcohol or other central nervous system depressants (sleep aids, tranquilizers) except by the orders of the prescribing physician, because additive effects may occur.
- Women of childbearing potential who become, or are planning to become, pregnant should be advised to consult their physician regarding the effects of analgesics and other drug use during pregnancy on themselves and their unborn child.
- Patients should be advised that ROXICODONE (oxycodone hydrochloride) ® is a potential drug of abuse. They should protect it from theft, and it should never be given to anyone other than the individual for whom it was prescribed.
- Patients should be advised that if they have been receiving treatment with ROXICODONE (oxycodone hydrochloride) ® for more than a few weeks and cessation of therapy is indicated, it may be appropriate to taper the ROXICODONE (oxycodone hydrochloride) ® dose, rather than abruptly discontinue it, due to the risk of precipitating withdrawal symptoms. Their physician can provide a dose schedule to accomplish a gradual discontinuation of the medication.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/3/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Roxicodone Information
Roxicodone 15, 30 mg - User Reviews
Roxicodone 15, 30 mg User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.