"Sleep disorder drugs (hypnotic and sedative drugs) overview
Insomnia, a disorder in which there is difficulty sleeping, occurs occasionally in most people but usually lasts only a few days. The body then "corrects" itself "...
Rozerem Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Rozerem
Generic Name: ramelteon (Pronunciation: ram EL tee on)
- What is ramelteon (Rozerem)?
- What are the possible side effects of ramelteon (Rozerem)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ramelteon (Rozerem)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ramelteon (Rozerem)?
- How should I take ramelteon (Rozerem)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Rozerem)?
- What happens if I overdose (Rozerem)?
- What should I avoid while taking ramelteon (Rozerem)?
- What other drugs will affect ramelteon (Rozerem)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ramelteon (Rozerem)?
Ramelteon is a sedative, also called a hypnotic. It works by affecting certain substances in your body that help regulate your "sleep-wake cycle."
Ramelteon is used to treat insomnia that is associated with having trouble falling asleep.
Unlike some other sleep medications, ramelteon is not known to be habit-forming.
Ramelteon may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Rozerem 8 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with TAK RAM-8
What are the possible side effects of ramelteon (Rozerem)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking ramelteon and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- unusual thoughts or behavior, hallucinations, worsening depression, thoughts about hurting yourself;
- a missed menstrual period;
- nipple discharge; or
- loss of interest in sex.
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness, tired feeling;
- nausea; or
- worsening sleep problems.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Rozerem (ramelteon) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ramelteon (Rozerem)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to ramelteon, or if you have severe liver disease.
You should not take ramelteon if you are also taking the antidepressant fluvoxamine (Luvox).
Before taking ramelteon, tell your doctor if you have liver disease, sleep apnea, a breathing disorder such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or a history of depression, mental illness, or suicidal thoughts.
Take ramelteon 30 minutes before your normal bedtime. After you take ramelteon, avoid doing anything other than getting ready for bed.
Avoid taking ramelteon together with or just after eating a high-fat meal. This will make it harder for your body to absorb the medication.
Additional Rozerem Information
- Rozerem Drug Interactions Center: ramelteon oral
- Rozerem Side Effects Center
- Rozerem Overview including Precautions
- Rozerem FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Rozerem - User Reviews
Rozerem User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.