"The HHS Office on Women's Health (OWH) today launched its new heart attack awareness campaign targeting Spanish-speaking women age 50 and over. The “Haga La Llamada, ¡No Pierda Tiempo!” campaign builds on OWH's successful “Make the Call, Don't Mi"...
Salagen Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What are the possible side effects of pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- How should I take pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Salagen)?
- What happens if I overdose (Salagen)?
- What should I avoid while taking pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What other drugs will affect pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pilocarpine (Salagen)?
Before taking pilocarpine, talk to your doctor if you have:
- glaucoma or other eye problems
- asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or other breathing or lung problems;
- heart problems;
- gallbladder problems;
- mental problems;
- stomach problems;
- abnormal blood pressure or blood vessel problems;
- kidney problems; or
- liver problems.
You may not be able to take pilocarpine or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
Pilocarpine is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether pilocarpine will be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take pilocarpine without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether pilocarpine passes into breast milk. Do not take pilocarpine without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take pilocarpine (Salagen)?
Take pilocarpine exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Take each dose with a full glass of water.
Pilocarpine can be taken with or without food.
It is important to take pilocarpine regularly to get the most benefit.
Store pilocarpine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Salagen Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.