"The HHS Office on Women's Health (OWH) today launched its new heart attack awareness campaign targeting Spanish-speaking women age 50 and over. The “Haga La Llamada, ¡No Pierda Tiempo!” campaign builds on OWH's successful “Make the Call, Don't Mi"...
Salagen Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Salagen
Generic Name: pilocarpine (Pronunciation: pie low CAR peen)
- What is pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What are the possible side effects of pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- How should I take pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Salagen)?
- What happens if I overdose (Salagen)?
- What should I avoid while taking pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- What other drugs will affect pilocarpine (Salagen)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pilocarpine (Salagen)?
Pilocarpine is an agent that affects the nervous system. Pilocarpine increases saliva secretion in the mouth.
Pilocarpine is used in the treatment of dry mouth.
Pilocarpine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Pilocarpine 5 mg-GLO
round, white, imprinted with G, 592
Pilocarpine 5 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 647
Pilocarpine 7.5 mg-GLO
round, blue, imprinted with G, 591
round, white, imprinted with MGI, 705
What are the possible side effects of pilocarpine (Salagen)?
Stop taking pilocarpine and seek emergency medical attention if you experience any of the following uncommon but serious side effects:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- difficulty breathing;
- irregular heartbeats;
- eye pain; or
- confusion or changes in mental status or behavior.
Other, less serious side effects may also occur. Continue to take pilocarpine and talk to your doctor if you experience
- changes in vision;
- increased sweating;
- runny nose;
- redness of the face and neck;
- chills; or
- an increased urge to urinate.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Salagen (pilocarpine hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about pilocarpine (Salagen)?
Pilocarpine may cause changes in vision, especially at night. Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. If you experience changes in vision, avoid these activities.
Dehydration may be more likely to occur during treatment with pilocarpine, due to increased sweating. Use caution when exercising and when exposed to hot weather. Drink plenty of fluid to maintain adequate hydration.
Additional Salagen Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.