"Sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze... especially when combining grapefruit with medicines.
While it can be part of a balanced and nutritious diet, grapefruit can have serious consequences when taken with certain medications. Cu"...
Samsca Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What are the possible side effects of tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- How should I take tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Samsca)?
- What happens if I overdose (Samsca)?
- What should I avoid while taking tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What other drugs will affect tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Samsca)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Samsca)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking tolvaptan (Samsca)?
Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with tolvaptan and lead to unwanted side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor.
What other drugs will affect tolvaptan (Samsca)?
Many drugs can interact with tolvaptan. Not all possible interactions are listed here. Tell your doctor about all your medications and any you start or stop using during treatment with tolvaptan, especially:
- rifabutin, rifapentine, rifampin;
- St. John's wort;
- an ACE inhibitor--benazepril, captopril, enalapril, fosinopril, lisinopril, moexipril, perindopril, quinapril, ramipril, trandolapril;
- an antibiotic--azithromycin, ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, erythromycin, metronidazole, nafcillin, norfloxacin, tetracycline;
- an antidepressant--desipramine, sertraline;
- antifungal medication--clotrimazole, fluconazole;
- a beta blocker--atenolol, carvedilol, labetalol, metoprolol, nadolol, nebivolol, propranolol, sotalol;
- heart or blood pressure medication--amiodarone, azilsartan, candesartan, carvedilol, diltiazem, dronedarone, eprosartan, felodipine, irbesartan, lidocaine, losartan, olmesartan, quinidine, ranolazine, telmisartan, valsartan, verapamil;
- HIV or AIDS medicine--atazanavir, fosamprenavir, efavirenz, darunavir when given with ritonavir, lopinavir, nevirapine, saquinavir; or
- seizure medication--carbamazepine, fosphenytoin, oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone.
This list is not complete and many other drugs can interact with tolvaptan. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Give a list of all your medicines to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about tolvaptan.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.02. Revision date: 1/25/2013.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Samsca Information
- Samsca Drug Interactions Center: tolvaptan oral
- Samsca Side Effects Center
- Samsca Overview including Precautions
- Samsca FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Samsca - User Reviews
Samsca User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.