"A unique type of poster placed in exam rooms helped reduce unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions for respiratory infections during flu season. The approach could help reduce costs and extend the usefulness of these drugs.
Samsca Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What are the possible side effects of tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- How should I take tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Samsca)?
- What happens if I overdose (Samsca)?
- What should I avoid while taking tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- What other drugs will affect tolvaptan (Samsca)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking tolvaptan (Samsca)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to tolvaptan, if you are unable to urinate, if you are unable to tell that you are thirsty, or if you are severely dehydrated and feel like you might pass out.
Many drugs can interact with tolvaptan and some should not be used at the same time. Tell your doctor about all other medications you use, especially:
- isoniazid (for treating tuberculosis);
- an antibiotic--clarithromycin, telithromycin;
- antifungal medication--itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole;
- heart or blood pressure medication--nicardipine or quinidine;
- the hepatitis C medications boceprevir or telaprevir; or
- HIV/AIDS medication--atazanavir, delavirdine, fosamprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir.
Your doctor will tell you if any of your medications need to be changed while taking tolvaptan.
To make sure tolvaptan is safe for you, tell your doctor about your other medical conditions, especially:
- severe liver disease (especially cirrhosis);
- kidney disease;
- if you are malnourished; or
- if you have been drinking large amounts of alcohol.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether tolvaptan will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether tolvaptan passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using tolvaptan.
How should I take tolvaptan (Samsca)?
Tolvaptan is usually given once per day. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
You will receive your first few doses of tolvaptan in a hospital setting where your heart rhythm can be monitored, in case the medication causes serious side effects.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results.
You may take tolvaptan with or without food.
Take this medicine with a full glass (8 ounces) of water. Drink plenty of fluids during the first 24 hours of treatment with tolvaptan. It is best to drink something as soon as you feel thirsty, but avoid alcoholic drinks. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink while treating hyponatremia. In some cases, drinking too much liquid can be as unsafe as not drinking enough.
Call your doctor if you have ongoing vomiting or diarrhea, or if you are sweating more than usual. You can easily become dehydrated while taking this medication, which can lead to serious side effects.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, you may need frequent blood tests. You may not notice any change in your symptoms, but your blood work will help your doctor determine how long to treat you with tolvaptan.
If you stop taking tolvaptan for any length of time, do not start taking it again at home. You will need to be in a hospital under observation any time you start or restart treatment with tolvaptan.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Samsca Information
- Samsca Drug Interactions Center: tolvaptan oral
- Samsca Side Effects Center
- Samsca Overview including Precautions
- Samsca FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Samsca - User Reviews
Samsca User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.