Sanctura Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Sanctura, Sanctura XR
Generic Name: trospium (Pronunciation: tros PEE um)
- What is trospium (Sanctura)?
- What are the possible side effects of trospium (Sanctura)?
- What is the most important information I should know about trospium (Sanctura)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking trospium (Sanctura)?
- How should I take trospium (Sanctura)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Sanctura)?
- What happens if I overdose (Sanctura)?
- What should I avoid while taking trospium (Sanctura)?
- What other drugs will affect trospium (Sanctura)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is trospium (Sanctura)?
Trospium relieves spasms of the bladder.
Trospium is used to treat overactive bladder and symptoms of urinary incontinence, frequency, and urgency.
Trospium may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of trospium (Sanctura)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using trospium and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe stomach pain or bloating;
- severe constipation; or
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dry mouth or throat;
- mild constipation;
- upset stomach, gas;
- drowsiness, or
- dry eyes.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Sanctura (trospium chloride tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about trospium (Sanctura)?
You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to trospium, or if you have untreated or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, a blockage in your digestive system, or if you are unable to urinate.
Take trospium on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before a meal.
Avoid drinking alcohol within 2 hours before or after you take trospium. Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of trospium.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Trospium can decrease sweating, which makes it easier for you to have heat stroke. Drink plenty of fluids while you are taking this medication.
Before using trospium, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, sedatives, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by trospium.
Additional Sanctura Information
- Sanctura Drug Interactions Center: trospium oral
- Sanctura Side Effects Center
- Sanctura Overview including Precautions
- Sanctura FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Sanctura - User Reviews
Sanctura User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.