"April 9, 2012 -- Drugs that treat incontinence caused by an overactive bladder offer modest benefits to some women, and they often come with significant side effects, a new review of research shows.
The government-funded review compar"...
(trospium chloride) Extended Release Capsules
Read the Patient Information that comes with SANCTURA XR® before you start taking it and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This leaflet does not take the place of talking with your doctor about your medical condition or your treatment.
What is SANCTURA XR®?
SANCTURA XR® is a prescription medicine used to treat adults with overactive bladder who have the following symptoms:
- a strong need to urinate right away;
- leaking or wetting accidents due to a strong need to urinate right away;
- a need to urinate often.
Who should not take SANCTURA XR®?
Do not take SANCTURA XR® if you:
- have trouble emptying your bladder;
- have delayed or slow emptying of your stomach;
- have an eye problem called "uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma";
- are allergic to SANCTURA XR® or any of its ingredients. See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients.
SANCTURA XR® has not been studied in children under the age of 18 years.
What should I tell my doctor before starting SANCTURA XR®?
Tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions including if you:
- have any stomach or intestinal problems or problems with constipation;
- have trouble emptying your bladder or have a weak urine stream;
- have an eye problem called narrow-angle glaucoma;
- have kidney problems;
- have liver problems;
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. It is not known if SANCTURA XR® can harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding. It is not known if SANCTURA XR® passes into breast milk and if it can harm your baby. You should talk to your doctor about the best way to feed your baby if you are taking SANCTURA XR®.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. SANCTURA XR® and certain other medicines can interact and make some side effects worse. SANCTURA XR® can affect how other medicines are handled by the body. Know all the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your doctor and pharmacist each time you get a new medicine.
How should I take SANCTURA XR®?
Take SANCTURA XR® exactly as prescribed.
- Take one SANCTURA XR capsule daily in the morning with water.
- Take SANCTURA XR® on an empty stomach or at least 1 hour before a meal.
- Do not take alcohol within 2 hours of taking SANCTURA XR®.
- If you take too much SANCTURA XR®, call your local Poison Control Center or go to an emergency room right away.
What are the possible side effects of SANCTURA XR®?
SANCTURA XR® may cause allergic reactions that may be serious. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue. If you experience these symptoms, you should stop taking SANCTURA XR® and get emergency medical help right away.
The most common side effects with SANCTURA XR® are:
- dry mouth;
SANCTURA XR® may cause other less common side effects, including:
- trouble emptying the bladder;
- blurred vision and drowsiness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how SANCTURA XR® affects you.
- heat prostration. Due to decreased sweating, heat prostration can occur when drugs such as SANCTURA XR® are used in a hot environment.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effects that bother you or that do not go away.
These are not all possible side effects of SANCTURA XR®. For more information, ask your doctor, healthcare professional or pharmacist.
How should I store SANCTURA XR®?
- Keep SANCTURA XR® and all other medicines out of the reach of children.
- Store SANCTURA XR® at room temperature, 68° to 77°F (20° to 25°C).
- Safely dispose of SANCTURA XR® capsules that are out of date or that you no longer need.
General information about SANCTURA XR®
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for conditions that are not mentioned in patient information leaflets. Do not use SANCTURA XR® for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give SANCTURA XR® to other people, even if they have the same symptoms you have. It may harm them.
This leaflet summarizes the most important information about SANCTURA XR®. If you would like more information, talk with your doctor. You can ask your doctor or pharmacist for information about SANCTURA
XR® that is written for health professionals. You can also call Allergan's product information department at 1-800-433-8871.
What are the ingredients in SANCTURA XR®?
Active Ingredient: trospium chloride.
Inactive Ingredients: sugar spheres, methacrylic acid copolymer, ethyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, triethyl citrate, talc, and Opadry® white.
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/27/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Sanctura XR Information
Sanctura XR - User Reviews
Sanctura XR User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.