"April 9, 2012 -- Drugs that treat incontinence caused by an overactive bladder offer modest benefits to some women, and they often come with significant side effects, a new review of research shows.
The government-funded review compar"...
Sanctura XR Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Sanctura, Sanctura XR
Generic Name: trospium (Pronunciation: tros PEE um)
- What is trospium (Sanctura XR)?
- What are the possible side effects of trospium (Sanctura XR)?
- What is the most important information I should know about trospium (Sanctura XR)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking trospium (Sanctura XR)?
- How should I take trospium (Sanctura XR)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Sanctura XR)?
- What happens if I overdose (Sanctura XR)?
- What should I avoid while taking trospium (Sanctura XR)?
- What other drugs will affect trospium (Sanctura XR)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is trospium (Sanctura XR)?
Trospium relieves spasms of the bladder.
Trospium is used to treat overactive bladder and symptoms of urinary incontinence, frequency, and urgency.
Trospium may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of trospium (Sanctura XR)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using trospium and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe stomach pain or bloating;
- severe constipation;
- urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- confusion, hallucinations.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dry mouth or throat;
- mild constipation;
- upset stomach, gas;
- dizziness, drowsiness, or
- dry eyes.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Sanctura XR (trospium chloride extended release capsule) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about trospium (Sanctura XR)?
You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to trospium, or if you have untreated or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, a blockage in your digestive system, or if you are unable to urinate.
Take trospium on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before a meal.
Avoid drinking alcohol within 2 hours before or after you take trospium. Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of trospium.
This medication may cause blurred vision and may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Trospium can decrease sweating, which makes it easier for you to have heat stroke. Drink plenty of fluids while you are taking this medication.
Before using trospium, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, sedatives, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by trospium.
Additional Sanctura XR Information
- Sanctura XR Drug Interactions Center: trospium oral
- Sanctura XR Side Effects Center
- Sanctura XR Overview including Precautions
- Sanctura XR FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Sanctura XR - User Reviews
Sanctura XR User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.