Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
The symptoms of schizophrenia vary in quality and intensity from individual to individual, but delusions or a failure to recognize what is real is characteristic. The delusions of schizophrenia can cause hallucinations in sight (visual hallucination), sound (auditory hallucination), and/or touch (tactile hallucination). Other symptoms of schizophrenia include disordered or confused thought. This can be associated with talking nonsense and disorganized speech. Both a decrease in social interactivity or being socially withdrawn and agitation are common. This can lead to other socially negative symptoms and unusual behavior.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, Dan, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Main Article on Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
- Decreased Social Interactivity
- Disordered Thought
- Failure to Recognize What Is Real
- False Beliefs
- Hearing Voices
- Nonsense Talking
- Withdrawn Behavior
Examples of Medications for Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
- aripiprazole, Abilify
- chlorpromazine - oral, Thorazine
- chlorpromazine-injection, Thorazine
- clozapine; Clozaril, Fazacio ODT
- fluphenazine - oral, Prolixin
- fluphenazine concentrate - oral, Prolixin
- fluphenazine liquid - oral, Prolixin
- haloperidol, Haldol
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Relprevv
- quetiapine, Seroquel, Seroquel XR
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta
- ziprasidone, Geodon
Get tips on therapy and treatment.