View Table of Contents
- Sciatica facts
- What is sciatica?
- What are causes of sciatica?
- What are risk factors for sciatica? What are sciatica symptoms?
- How is sciatica diagnosed?
- What are treatment options for sciatica?
- What are treatment options for sciatica? (Continued)
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for patients with sciatica? Is it possible to prevent sciatica?
What are treatment options for sciatica? (Continued)
Other treatment options for sciatica include addressing the underlying cause and physical therapy. A variety of low back conditioning and stretching exercises are employed to help people recover from sciatica. Medications used in the treatment of sciatica include pain relievers, muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatories, and antidepressants. Antidepressants actually can help in this setting by reducing pain perception in the brain.
Surgical procedures can sometimes be required for persisting sciatica that is caused by nerve compression at the lower spine. Sometimes pain management specialists help with chronic sciatica conditions.