Definition of Meter, peak-flow
Meter, peak-flow: This hand-held device measures air flow (how fast air is blown out of the lungs). Patients can use peak-flow meters to measure their own air flow regularly.
The use of a peak-flow meter allows patients to obtain a much earlier indication of an oncoming attack, for example, of exercise-induced asthma, a type of asthma typically triggered by exercise.
The "peak flow" refers to the maximum flow rate of air breathed out during forced expiration.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.