Definition of Factor, colony-stimulating
Factor, colony-stimulating: A laboratory-made agent similar to a normally existing substance in the body that stimulates the production of blood cells.
The colony-stimulating factors (CSFs) include granulocyte colony-stimulating factors (G-CSF) and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factors (GM-CSF).
Treatment with colony-stimulating factors can help the blood-forming tissue recover from the effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence