Definition of Pelvic exam
Pelvic exam: An examination of the organs of the female reproductive system.
In a pelvic exam, a speculum (an instrument for opening and widening certain passages of the body) is used to open the vagina and aid in visualizing the uterine cervix. A sample of cells may be taken off the surface of the cervix for a Pap smear or a sample may be obtained for laboratory culture. The uterus womb and ovaries are felt with the fingers to detect swellings or other abnormalities.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.