The Polio Vaccine
What You Need to Know
- What is Polio?
- Why get vaccinated against Polio?
- Who should get the polio vaccine?
- Some people should not get the IPV vaccine or should wait.
- What are the risks from the polio vaccine?
- What if there is serious reaction?
- The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program?
- How can I learn more?
What is Polio?
Polio is a disease caused by a virus. It enters a child's (or adult's) body through the mouth. Sometimes it does not cause serious illness. But sometimes it causes paralysis (can't move arm or leg). It can kill people who get it, usually by paralyzing the muscles that help them breathe.
Polio used to be very common in the United States. It paralyzed and killed thousands of people a year before we had a vaccine for it.
Find out what women really need.