Definition of Human herpesvirus 2 (HHV-2)
Human herpesvirus 2 (HHV-2): A herpes virus that causes genital herpes, characterized by sores in the area of the genitalia. Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
This virus, like human herpesvirus 1, can cause infection of the brain (encephalitis) if the immune system is severely defective or compromised. The treatment of infection with human herpesvirus 2 is by topical or oral anti-viral medication.
Human herpesvirus 2 (HHV-2) is also known as herpes simplex type 2.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves Daclizumab (Zinbryta ) for Multiple Sclerosis
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
Find out what women really need.