Definition of Putamen
Putamen: An area in the brain within a structure called the lentiform nucleus. The putamen may decrease in size as a result of damage in Huntington's disease.
The word "putamen" is from Latin, referring to that which falls off in pruning, from "puto", to prune. It is pronounced pyu-ta'men.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Get breaking medical news.