Definition of Thioxanthene
Thioxanthene: One of a group of drugs with antipsychotic activity which act by blocking postsynaptic (after-the-nerve) receptors for dopamine (a chemical that nerves use to communicate with one another) in the brain.
Examples include: thiothixene (brand name: Navane), chlorprothixene (Remeron) and flupenthixol.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.