Definition of Scalp ringworm
Scalp ringworm: A superficial fungus infection of the skin, affecting the scalp. Also known as ringworm.
It appears as scalp scaling associated with bald spots (in contrast to seborrhea or dandruff, for instance, which do not cause hair loss). It occurs most commonly in children, especially those in late childhood and adolescence, and can spread in schools.
Formally known in medicine as tinea capitis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.