Definition of Fear of heat
Fear of heat: Thermophobia. An abnormally excessive and persistent fear of heat, including hot weather and hot objects. Sufferers from this fear experience anxiety even though they realize their fear is irrational. To avoid heat, they may live in a cold climate, wear light clothing, stay indoors on warm days, and avoid hot water and hot foods.
Thermophobia is derived from the Greek "therme" (heat) and "phobos" (fear). The opposite of thermophobia is cryophobia, fear of the cold.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Get tips on therapy and treatment.