Definition of Distention
Distention: The state of being distended, enlarged, swollen from internal pressure.
For example, on inhalation there is distention of the lungs due to the increased air pressure within the lungs.
The word "distention" comes from a Latin root "tendere," to extend. The word "tendon" comes from the same root.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence