Definition of ASA (drug caution code)
ASA (drug caution code): Abbreviation on a medication that indicates it contains acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin).
This special caution code is intended to be a warning for patients with specific medical conditions. If you see it or another possible caution code on a prescription, talk to your pharmacist about it before using the medicine.
While not a part of the historical heritage of ancient prescription abbreviations, drug caution codes provide very valuable warnings.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.