Definition of Achillobursitis
Achillobursitis: Pain due to inflammation of the bursa associated with the Achilles tendon. .
The Achilles tendon is one of the better known anatomic features in sports medicine due to the abrupt dramatic nature of some injuries to this tendon. It is in the back of the lower leg and connects the calf muscle (the triceps surae) with the calcaneus bone in the heel. This tendon is so named for the hero whose heel, according to Greek mythology, was the only part of his body where he could be hurt.
Inflammation in the Achilles tendon and bursa is collectively known as achillodynia.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Get the latest treatment options