Definition of Fracture, basilar
Fracture, basilar: A break in bone at the base of the skull.
About a half of basilar fractures are caused by bicycle or motor vehicle accidents, about a quarter by falls, and a tenth by recreational activities, particularly by diving accidents. The balance are due to other causes. No matter what cause, the risk of death with a basilar fracture is appreciable.
The term "basilar" means located at or near the base of a structure, especially the skull.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves Daclizumab (Zinbryta ) for Multiple Sclerosis
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke