Definition of HER2
HER2: Abbreviation for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2. HER2 is a transmembrane tyrosine kinase receptor and is expressed by, and involved in the growth of, some cancer cells. For example, HER2 is overexpressed in 18% to 20% of invasive breast cancers and affects treatment as well as prognosis of breast cancers.
Also called c-erbB-2 or neu; also written HER-2.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Get the latest treatment options.