Definition of Cage, rib
Cage, rib: The structure formed by the thoracic vertebrae and ribs, the sternum (breastbone), and the costal cartilages (that attach the ribs to the sternum).
A cage is an enclosure made of "open work" that usually houses animals. The rib cage was thought to resemble an animal cage (although the largest "animals" it holds are the heart and lungs).
The rib cage is also called the thoracic cage.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.