Definition of Narcotic
Narcotic: 1. A drug that causes insensibility or stupor. A narcotic induces narcosis, from the Greek "narke" for "numbness or torpor."
2. A drug such as marijuana which is subject to regulatory restrictions comparable to those for addictive narcotics.
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves Daclizumab (Zinbryta ) for Multiple Sclerosis
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
Find out what women really need.