Definition of Hirudotherapy
Hirudotherapy: The use of leeches for medical therapy.
From hirudin, the active principle in the salivary secretion of leeches that acts as a potent anticoagulant (blood thinner).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Drug Medical Dictionary of Terms by Letter
Medical Dictionary Term:
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.