Definition of Bone morphogenic protein 2
Bone morphogenetic protein 2: A protein that induces the formation of bone and cartilage. Bone morphogenic protein 2 (which is symbolized BMP2) belongs to a superfamily called transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta). The gene for BMP2 is on chromosome 20 in band 20p12.3. Three sets of variations within the BMP2 gene reportedly triple the risk of developing osteoporosis.
See also: Bone morphogenetic protein; Osteoporosis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/27/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
REFERENCE: NCBI.gov. BMP2 bone morphogenetic protein 2 [Homo sapiens].
Get tips and advances in treatment.