Definition of Alveolar
Alveolar: Pertaining to the alveoli, the tiny air sacs in the lungs. The exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide takes place in the alveoli which look like cells in a honeycomb.
The word comes from the Latin diminutive of "alveus" meaning a cavity or hollow = a little cavity or hollow.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves Daclizumab (Zinbryta ) for Multiple Sclerosis
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
Find out what women really need.