Definition of Epiphenomenon
Epiphenomenon: 1. An additional symptom or condition that appears during the course of a disease. A doctor might ask if you have noticed any epiphenomena recently as a way of inquiring as to whether you have experienced additional symptoms or signs of illness.
2. Any occurrence that is accidental, accessory, or incidental to a cause-and-effect relationship. An increase in breast cancer risk with antibiotic usage may be an epiphenomenon if it is not the antibiotic, but the reason for the antibiotic use, namely inflammation, that is associated with breast cancer.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves Daclizumab (Zinbryta ) for Multiple Sclerosis
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke